Monday, October 10, 2011

Movie Review: "DRIVE"

I've been wanting to talk about this movie for quite awhile. "DRIVE," directed by Nicolas Winding Refn and starring Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, and Bryan Cranston. It's all about a stunt driver for the movies, who becomes the get-away driver and the target of the town's mob boss, played by Albert Brooks. With all the makings of a non-stop action flick just in that description alone, it really isn't what you think it is. It is best described from another critic as "an art-house 80's action movie." The look of the movie, the cinematography, is gorgeous from beginning to end and there is a great cast in here, especially with the always-reliable Cranston. Gosling plays the mysterious driver character and I gotta say, looks and plays badass pretty well and Carey Mulligan is really a sight as the girl who falls for Gosling.  And I should mention the soundtrack as well, as that is really worth a listen, which helped give the movie that 80's vibe and kept me tuned in until the very end. 

I do have my issues with "Drive," though. The pacing and script. This is why causes it to be an art-house film as there is very little dialogue, the action is not very in-your-face, and too.... many... pauses... inbetween... lines... and cuts. I got over it, but I know this may be a problem with much of the mainstream audience who are probably expecting "Fast and Furious 15." In the screening I went to, there were people laughing during some of those moments and you can't help but agree with them. But this is a very different animal than the Fast movies and that's where I give it its props. Director Refn, who also did the underrated "Bronson" and "Valhalla Rising," had all the right ideas going for what is his first American film but he just couldn't fully execute them.



Is it worth the ticket price, you ask? Depends. If you want some artsy, different, and with a hint of brains, then check it out. Otherwise, wait for DVD or until it's on TV if you're still very mixed on seeing it or even see Refn's other films instead. I say, see it and judge for yourself.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment